As indispensable to The Nature Conservancy’s success as our unifying mission, vision, goals and measures are our unique values—the distinguishing attributes that characterize how we conduct ourselves in our drive for tangible, lasting results. These attributes are not mere platitudes but deeply held convictions universally manifested by all who represent The Nature Conservancy.
Integrity Beyond Reproach:
We will meet the highest ethical and professional standards in all of our organizational endeavors and, in doing so, we hold ourselves accountable to our mission and to the public.
- Be honest at all times
- Earn trust by building relationships, being competent, and following through on all of our commitments
Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures:
Enduring conservation success depends on the active involvement of people and partners whose lives and livelihoods are linked to the natural systems we seek to conserve. We respect the needs, values and traditions of local communities and cultures, and we forge relationships based on mutual benefit and trust.
- Demonstrate respect by committing to local, on the ground involvement with people, communities and cultures, and with awareness and sensitivity to their economic realities
- Treat our partners and colleagues with fairness and honesty
- Work collaboratively with all sectors of society, including indigenous people, to develop practical conservation solutions.
Commitment to Diversity:
We recognize that conservation is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of widely diverse backgrounds, experiences and identities. We will recruit and develop staff to create a diverse, inclusive and equitable organization that reflects our global character and:
- Leverage our differences to be more effective in achieving our mission
- Respect and learn from our variety of experiences and ways of thinking
- Create a day to day workplace climate that welcomes and encourages each of us, valuing the contributions of all
- Strengthen the diversity of our workforce, trustees, and board.
Our strength and vitality lie in being one organization working together in local places and across borders to achieve our global mission. We value the collective and collaborative efforts that are so essential to our success.
- Work across all of our operations to implement and support the right strategies, at the right scales, and at the right places always with the greater good of our mission in mind
- Act with continuity of purpose in everything we do, from the focus of our conservation efforts to the allocation of our resources
- Celebrate individual, team and project success as the success of all who work for TNC
Tangible, Lasting Results:
We use the best available science, a creative spirit, and a non-confrontational approach to craft innovative solutions to complex conservation problems at scales that matter and in ways that will endure.
- Develop, analyze and use the best available conservation science and a science-based rigor to set priorities, make decisions, take action, and measure results
- Use a creative spirit and original thought in the pursuit of excellence
- Conduct our business in an environmentally sensitive manner