Hackberry leaves are oval with three distinct veins meeting at the base.
The hackberry's once smooth bark becomes warty and rough with age.
The hard, red berries of the hackberry are favored by cedar waxwings, mockingbirds and robins.
Farmer Jason is the family music character created by singer Jason Ringenberg, singer and leader of the pioneering Nashville roots rock band Jason & the Scorchers. He created Farmer Jason to educate and entertain children about farm life and the wonders of nature. He has released four Farmer Jason albums: Nature Jams, Rockin’ in the Forest, A Day at the Farm and Christmas on the Farm.
- Scientific name: Celtis occidentalis
- Range: across the East and Great Plains, northward from Arkansas, Tennessee and Virginia
- Height: up to 80 feet tall
- Fruit: produces hard, red berries that many species of birds eat
- Fall colors: leaves turn yellow
- Closely related to the sugarberry, although the hackberry's bark is rougher and more corky, and its leaves are broader with toothed edges.
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Hackberry
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... forests are home to almost half the world's animal species?