Victor Wooten is one of the world’s leading bass players and the winner of five Grammy Awards. He came to prominence in 1988 when he joined forces with banjoist Bela Fleck to form the jazz combo Bela & the Flecktones. Through more than a dozen albums, the quartet has pushed the boundaries of jazz and American music. On his own, Wooten has recorded several solo albums. Since 2000, he has run the Wooten Center for Music and Nature, where he teaches young people how to make music and live in harmony with the natural environment.
Black Walnut Facts
- Scientific name: Juglans nigra
- Range: across much of the Eastern U.S. throughout the Midwest to the Great Plains and Southwest
- Height: up to 75 feet tall
- Fruit: edible nuts, surrounded by a black hard shell, which is covered by green husk
- Fall colors: leaves turn bright yellow
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Black Walnut
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know...walnuts contain omega-3 fats and antioxidants that fight cancer, improve heart health and brain health?