Jim Lauderdale is a leading singer-songwriter in Americana music. He is the musical host of the weekly Music City Roots show from Nashville and cohosts the weekly "Buddy and Jim Show" on SiriusXM Radio. Voted Artist of the Year by the Americana Music Association in 2002 and a two-time Grammy winner, Lauderdale has written songs recorded by George Strait, Blake Shelton, George Jones, Solomon Burke, the Dixie Chicks, Vince Gill and many others.
- Scientific name: Celtis laevigata
- Range: across the Southeastern U.S. and into the Southwest
- Height: up to 100 feet tall. Grows quickly.
- Fruit: produces hard, sweet red berries that many species of birds eat
- Fall colors: leaves turn yellow
- Closely related to the common hackberry, though its bark is not as rough and corky, and its leaves are narrower with smooth edges.
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Sugarberry
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... a single large tree can pump over a ton of water vapor into the sky in a day? 200 large trees can create a raincloud.