If Trees Could Sing: Mike Farris
Mike Farris talks about the benefits of trees like Eastern red cedar.
Nashville-based bandleader, guitarist and singer Mike Farris delivers a fiery blend of rock, rhythm & blues and gospel music. The former lead vocalist for the hard rocking Screamin’ Cheetah Wheelies, Farris has moved in a more soulful direction since the early 2000s, with critically acclaimed albums Salvation in Lights, Sunday Night Shout! and Shout! Live. He was awarded a Grammy for Best Roots Gospel Album for his 2014 album, Shine for All the People. He has also been honored with awards by both the Gospel Music Association and the Americana Music Association. In 2018, he released the album Silver & Stone.
Eastern Red Cedar Facts
- Scientific name: Juniperus virginiana
- Range: across the East to Nebraska and Texas
- Height: up to 100 feet tall
- Fruit: small, blue berries, a favorite food of many bird species and mammals
- Evergreen: its needles remain green year round; sometimes used as Christmas trees.
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Eastern Red Cedar
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... research studies show that a walk in a forest will measurably lower a person's stress hormones, blood pressure and heart rate?