Shagbark Hickory Bark
The distinctive bark of this tree peels off in shaggy strips.
Shagbark Hickory Leaves
The crushed leaves of the shagbark hickory have a faint apple smell.
The nearly round nuts of the shagbark hickory are a tasty treat for animals and people.
Deanie Richardson is a much in-demand fiddle player, based in Nashville. She has recorded or toured with Patty Loveless, Vince Gill, Emmylou Harris, the Chieftans, Bob Seger and many other artists. She made her stage debut at the Grand Ole Opry at age 13. In 2010, the Academy of Country Music named her Fiddle Player of the Year. Deanie did her video about the shagbark hickory on the grounds of Owl's Hill.
Shagbark Hickory Facts
- Scientific name: Carya ovata
- Range: found across the East except in the Gulf states
- Height: up to 100 ft.
- Nuts: brown thick husk with nuts that are rounded and flattened
- Fall colors: yellow
- Distinguishing feature: shaggy gray bark
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Shagbark Hickory
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know… forests are home to almost half the world’s animal species?