White Oak Acorns
The acorns of this tree are eaten by songbirds, turkeys, squirrels and deer.
White Oak Leaf
The white oak's leaves feature 7-10 rounded lobes.
The light gray, ashy-colored bark of the white oak often forms flaky plates in mature trees.
David Olney is known as a songwriter's songwriter, a master craftsman among tunesmiths. He has released more than 20 albums in his career, which began in the 1970s. His music has been featured in ABC-TV's Nashville, and his songs have been recorded by such artists as Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Del McCoury, Tim O'Brien and others. See other music artists talking about trees...
White Oak Facts
- Scientific name: Quercus alba
- Range: most of the eastern United States
- Height: up to 100 ft.
- Fruit: egg-shaped acorns
- Fall colors: orange, red and brown
- Distinguishing feature: the wood inside this tree is white
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Pin Oak
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... over the course of 50 years, a single tree can provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control?