Our Federal Policy Work in the United States
Sustaining the healthy natural systems that are the foundation for our economy, security and way of life.
The Nature Conservancy (TNC) advances and defends science-based, nonpartisan policy solutions that work for both people and nature. TNC believes the health of natural systems and the welfare of human communities are closely linked and that diverse public and private interests can work together to achieve lasting conservation success.
Approach to Public Policy
TNC proposes initiatives that:
- Promote more efficient solutions to resource management problems.
- Are ambitious but practical, with long-term benefits.
- Take advantage of the power and value of nature.
- Respect human needs.
- Use market mechanisms to achieve resource management goals.
- Emphasize cooperation across agency, political and organizational boundaries.
- Recognize public sector fiscal constraints.
Protecting Our Nation’s Lands, Waterways and Oceans
We’re advocating for protection of public lands and forests, as well as smart fisheries and water management systems, to ensure sustainable food and water supplies.
- America the Beautiful: Conserving 30 by 2030
- Land and Water Conservation Fund: Standing up for America’s premier conservation program
- Tropical Forest Conservation Act: Protecting tropical forests and biodiversity
- Water management systems: Ensuring sustainable water supplies during drought
- Fishing data modernization: Using technology to build sustainable fisheries
Using Nature to Protect Communities from Natural Disasters
We’re urging lawmakers to use nature-based solutions to enhance communities’ resilience to storms and wildfires and address the country’s infrastructure needs.
- Transportation bill: Advancing nature-based solutions to infrastructure challenges
- FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grants: Nature’s role in mitigating damages from storms, wildfires
- Natural infrastructure: Protecting communities from storms
- National Flood Insurance Program: Planning for floods to reduce risk
- Water Resources Development Act: Managing waterways to benefit people and nature
Increasing Government Funding for Conservation
We’re asking for robust federal funding for conservation and science programs and reforms to tax policy that would improve conservation outcomes.
- Investments in nature: Supporting strong conservation funding and policies
- International conservation funding: Protecting natural resources abroad through U.S. programs
- Tax incentives: Reforming tax policy to incentivize investments in conservation
- Forest funding: Restoring and managing America’s forests
Tackling Climate Change and Boosting Clean Energy
We’re fostering collaboration among nonprofits, corporations and lawmakers from both sides of the aisle to reduce carbon emissions and invest in cleaner, more reliable energy systems.
- Smart climate policy: Reinventing how we generate, transport and use energy resources
Preserving the Government’s Core Environmental Protections
We’re defending the federal laws that provide basic protections for endangered species, wildlife and important habitats across the country.
Your voice is the best tool to help us drive policy changes. Lawmakers and government officials need to hear from you—their constituents—about what matters to you and your families. You have the power to influence their actions on critical conservation policies.