A Gift That Makes an Impact
If you are 70½ or older, you can make a tax-free distribution from your traditional or Roth IRA to The Nature Conservancy. It's an efficient way to support the causes that matter to you most.
How It Works
You can donate up to $100,000 each year without incurring income tax on your withdrawal.
Here's the process:
- You direct distributions in the amount of your choosing from your traditional or Roth IRA to TNC. This can be a one-time or recurring gift.
- The distributions go directly to TNC and are not subject to federal income tax.
How You Benefit
- You avoid the income tax penalty on your distributions.
- You have the satisfaction of seeing your gift immediately support critical conservation work.
Can It Work for You?
A gift through your IRA may be for you if:
- You are over age 70½.
- You do not need the additional income from your required minimum distributions.
- You don't itemize deductions or you are subject to a rule that limits your deductions.
- You want to give more than the 60% deduction limitation.
- You live in a state with no charitable income tax deduction.
Example: You are 75 years old and your adjusted gross income will total $200,000 this year. Earlier in the year you contributed $120,000 to TNC, so you have reached the limit (60% of adjusted gross income) on charitable gifts you can deduct this year.
You want to provide additional support for a TNC program, so you direct a $100,000 payment from your IRA to us.
|Donor||Individual, age 75|
|Withdrawal from IRA||$100,000|
|Income tax on withdrawal||$0|
|Charitable deduction for withdrawal||$0|
Please note that The Nature Conservancy cannot render tax or legal advice and we urge you to consult with your professional advisor about your situation before making a charitable gift.
Making Your Gift
To ensure that your gift is properly processed and that you are listed as the donor of record, please have all checks directed to the address below. If is very important that you also contact us at (833) 336-7526 or firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know to expect your gift.
The Nature Conservancy, attn: Gift Planning
4245 North Fairfax Drive Ste. 100
Arlington, VA 22203
If you’re under the age of 70½, you can use your IRA to support TNC’s work by making a withdrawal and donating the proceeds after taxes OR by designating TNC as a beneficiary of your retirement plan. For more information, please contact one of our gift planning experts.
Meet Chris and Kate Mathews
Chris and Kate Mathews were required to take minimum distributions from their IRAs—so they used that income to make a tax-free gift to TNC. Read their story.