Manage Your Charitable Giving Simply and Efficiently
If you support multiple organizations or you want to secure a charitable deduction now but designate beneficiaries later, a donor advised fund (DAF) may work for you. They can be established with a number of entities, including community foundations, financial services companies and charities—including The Nature Conservancy.
Can It Work For You?
This gift may be for you if:
- You have extra income or a special taxable event, but desire to make charitable gifts over several years.
- You have several different charitable interests and want to simplify your giving.
- You have a private foundation that you wish to terminate. You can send those assets to a DAF.
- You wish to use a DAF to complement a private foundation (perhaps in order to give anonymously).
The Nature Conservancy's Donor Advised Fund
Have you considered establishing a private foundation, but are concerned about the ongoing fees and administrative expenses? There is a convenient alternative.
Designed for conservation-minded individuals, our donor advised fund gives you and your family the flexibility to support TNC and other charities.
With a fully deductible gift of $100,000 or more in cash, appreciated securities or even real estate, you can create your own fund. You then recommend distributions from your fund to Conservancy programs and other qualified charitable organizations on your own timeline—no more year-end rush.
You can involve family members in the process or give them the right to recommend distributions, encouraging them to develop their own tradition of philanthropy.
You incur none of the legal, administrative or reporting requirements that are associated with a private foundation. No administrative fees are charged if you select the internal TNC investment option for your DAF. Meanwhile, the assets in your fund are invested and have the opportunity to grow tax-free.
- At least 5 percent of your fund must be distributed annually, and at least 20 percent of the total distributions over the life of your fund must support Conservancy projects of your choosing.
- The minimum distribution is $1,000.
- You can make additional gifts of $1,000 or more to your fund at any time.
If you are a hands-on donor, consider the flexibility and practicality of The Nature Conservancy's Donor Advised Fund.
Make a Distribution
If you have a donor advised fund with Fidelity Charitable or another large DAF host, you may be able to request a distribution to TNC with the tool below. If your DAF host isn’t among those listed, you will need to make a distribution through your host. They will need the following information:
The Nature Conservancy
4245 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 100
Arlington, VA 22203
Tax Identification Number: 53-0242652
Ask your institution to include your name and address on the distribution. If you wish for your gift to renew your membership, that should be noted as well.
Meet Peter and Kathy Metcalf
The Metcalfs set up a donor advised fund to simplify how they support the causes they care about most.