Sweetbay Magnolia Flower
The sweetbay magnolia's flower has a fragrant vanilla scent.
Sweetbay Magnolia Leaf
This tree's leaves are big and shiny, darker green on top, lighter underneath.
The sweetbay magnolia's bright red seeds are eaten by squirrels, turkey, quail and songbirds.
Taylor Hicks is known for his rough-around-the-edges soulful voice and his distinctive blend of country, R&B and rock. He charmed America in 2006 when he became the winning singer on the fifth season of American Idol. He currently has recorded four albums and has a long-term performing residency in Las Vegas as well as regular touring dates across the U.S.
Sweetbay Magnolia Facts
- Scientific name: Magnolia virginiana
- Range: the Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast states and into Tennessee
- Height: up to 60 feet tall
- Fruit: conelike clusters of bright red seeds
- Flowers: creamy white with a strong vanilla scent
- Semi-Evergreen: this tree retains its leaves year-round in the South, but loses them in the North
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Sweetbay Magnolia
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... 25% of our nation's tree canopy is in our backyards and cities?