Pin Oak Leaf
Pin oak leaves are narrow with 5-7 lobes.
Pin Oak Bark
Pin oak bark is dark gray and cracked-looking in older trees.
Pin oak acorns are eaten by turkey, deer, squirrels and even ducks.
Reba McEntire is one of the best known performers in American music. As a recording artist, she has placed more number one albums on the country record charts than any female artist ever and has had over 50 Top Ten country singles on the charts. She has also been a starring actress on television (her series Reba and Malibu Country), Broadway (Annie Get Your Gun) and movies (including Tremors and North). Reba was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2011. Recently, Reba released her 27th studio album entitled Love Somebody in 2015, and was named The Nashville Business Journal's 2016 artist of the year. See other music artists talking about trees...
Pin Oak Facts
- Scientific name: Quercus palustris
- Range: across the Eastern U.S. to the Southwest and the Great Plains
- Height: up to 100 feet tall
- Fruit: acorns about 1/2" long
- Fall colors: copper brown, reddish orange and scarlet
- Distinguishing feature: called "pin oak," because of the pin-like, diminutive spur branches that occur on larger branches
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Pin Oak
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... in big storms a mature tree can soak up and store 50 to 100 gallons of rainwater, reducing flooding?