The sycamore's leaves have 3-5 pointed lobes.
The sycamore's seeds are contained in the spiky "buttonball."
The sycamore can easily be recognized by its distinctive peeling bark.
Kim Richey writes and sings thought-provoking, melodic pop music for adults. In the 1990s, she recorded three albums in Nashville that expanded the boundaries of country music. She has written songs recorded by a number of artists including Brooks & Dunn (“Every River”), Terri Clark (“I’m Alright”), and Trisha Yearwood (“Believe Me Baby I Lied”). Her newest album is Thorn in My Heart.
- Scientific name: Platanus occidentalis
- Range: throughout the East
- Height: up to 100 feet tall
- Width: the trunk can grow to 13 feet in diameter
- Bark: distinctive peeling bark that exposes a light-gray or white trunk
- Fruit: spiny round balls with a long stem, known as "buttonballs"
- Fall colors: leaves turn yellow and brown
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Sycamore
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... groves of trees in cities can cool the air by as much as 5 to 9 degrees?