Southern Magnolia Leaf
The leaves of the southern magnolia are stiff, shiny and dark green on top.
Southern Magnolia Fruit
The southern magnolia produces cones with red berries.
The creamy white flower of the southern magnolia blooms in spring and summer.
Folk and country singer Kathy Mattea revealed her deep love for her home state of West Virginia and her concerns about the harsh realities of the coal mining industry there and elsewhere on her 2008 album Coal. Her clear, strong alto has been heard on numerous country radio hits since the 1980s. She was named the Country Music Association's Female Vocalist of the Year two years running in 1989 and 1990. Her hit singles include "Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses," "Goin' Gone," "Love at the Five and Dime" and "Where've You Been."
Southern Magnolia Facts
- Scientific name: Magnolia grandiflora
- Range: south from North Carolina to Florida and west to Texas
- Height: up to 80 feet
- Fruit: conelike and brown, covered in reddish hairs
- Flowers: large, white, fragrant blooms
- Distinguishing feature: broad, shiny green leaves
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Southern Magnolia
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
MIghty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... if every American family planted just one tree, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere would be reduced by a billion pounds a year?