The most distinctive feature of the river birch is its peeling bark.
Fletcher Bright is a Chattanooga-area bluegrass institution. Now in his 80s, he has been playing fiddle for more than 70 years. He leads two bands: The Dismembered Tennesseans and The Fletcher Bright Fiddle Band. Fletcher founded the popular 3 Sisters Bluegrass Festival in Chattanooga in 2007, and it has been going strong ever since. When not playing music, he is the CEO of the Fletcher Bright Company, a successful real estate firm.
River Birch Facts
- Scientific name: Betula nigra
- Range: the Southeast, Missouri through Georgia
- Height: up to 80 ft.
- Distinguishing feature: thin brown bark that peels away
- Fall colors: yellow
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the River Birch
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in the its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... trees reduce people's asthma in cities because of all the air pollution they absorb?