Tulip Poplar Flower
The greenish-yellow flowers of the tulip poplar resemble tulips.
Tulip Poplar Leaves
This tree's leaves have a distinctive, cut-off top edge.
Tulip poplars are often the tallest, straightest trees in southern forests.
Vocalist Annie Sellick might be the best known jazz singer in her hometown of Nashville. Her knack for rhythm, hard-swing and clever phrasing have put her onstage or in the studio with luminaries such as Joey DeFrancesco, Gerald Clayton, Jeff Hamilton and Mark O'Connor. She has been voted Best Jazz Artist five times by the readers of the Nashville Scene. Annie did her video for us at Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary in Brentwood, Tennessee.
Tulip Poplar Facts
- Scientific name: Liriodendron tulipifera
- Other names: tulip tree, yellow poplar
- Range: found across most of the eastern United States
- Height: up to 150 ft.
- Flowers: greenish yellow with orange band at bottom
- Fall colors: yellow
- Distinguishing features: flowers that resemble tulips; tall and straight trunk
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Tulip Poplar
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... researchers estimate that America’s trees save our nation 7 billion dollars in health costs every year through pollution control?