The beautiful white flowers of the yellowwood bloom in summer.
The leaves of the yellowwood are shiny green on top and paler below.
The yellowwood's leaves turn a bright yellow in autumn.
Bill Lloyd is a Nashville-based songwriter, musician and record producer who is most often remembered as half of the late ‘80s RCA country-rock duo, Foster & Lloyd. Bill Lloyd’s diverse musical activities include working as a session player (for Ray Davies of The Kinks, Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze, Buck Owens, Steve Earle), a sideman (Poco, Marshall Crenshaw and with Cheap Trick when they perform The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album with orchestra) and as a songwriter (with songs cut by Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride, Sara Evans and more). Bill did his video for us at Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary in Brentwood, Tennessee.
- Scientific name: Cladrastic lutea
- Range: Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and other southeastern states
- Height: up to 50 ft.
- Flowers: drooping, white clusters of small flowers
- Fall colors: yellow
- Distinguishing feature: the wood inside is yellow
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Yellowwood
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Here are tree planting instructions.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree. Here are tree care instructions.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... trees planted along streets extend the longevity of pavement? Shaded roads can save up to 60% of repaving costs?