If Trees Could Sing: Taylor Hicks
Taylor Hicks talks about the sweetbay magnolia and the benefits that trees provide us.
Taylor Hicks is known for his rough-around-the-edges soulful voice and his distinctive blend of country, R&B and rock. He charmed America in 2006 when he became the winning singer on the fifth season of American Idol. He has recorded several original albums and continues to tour regularly around the United States.
Cool Tree Fact
Did you know...? Approximately 25 percent of our nation's tree canopy is in our backyards and cities.
Sweetbay Magnolia Facts
Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen. Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow. Water regularly in its first three years. Spread mulch around the base of the tree..
- Scientific name: Magnolia virginiana
- Range: the Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast states and into Tennessee
- Height: up to 60 feet tall
- Fruit: conelike clusters of bright red seeds
- Flowers: creamy white with a strong vanilla scent
- Semi-Evergreen: this tree retains its leaves year-round in the South, but loses them in the North