If Trees Could Sing: Taylor Hicks & the Sweetbay Magnolia
Taylor Hicks talks about the sweetbay magnolia and the benefits that trees provide us.
Taylor Hicks is known for his rough-around-the-edges soulful voice and his distinctive blend of country, R&B and rock. He charmed America in 2006 when he became the winning singer on the fifth season of American Idol. He currently has recorded four albums and has a long-term performing residency in Las Vegas as well as regular touring dates across the U.S.
Sweetbay Magnolia Facts
- Scientific name: Magnolia virginiana
- Range: the Atlantic Coast and Gulf Coast states and into Tennessee
- Height: up to 60 feet tall
- Fruit: conelike clusters of bright red seeds
- Flowers: creamy white with a strong vanilla scent
- Semi-Evergreen: this tree retains its leaves year-round in the South, but loses them in the North
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Sweetbay Magnolia
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... 25% of our nation's tree canopy is in our backyards and cities?