Country singer and songwriter Rodney Atkins grew up in rural east Tennessee, and his music often celebrates and explores the joys of real life out in the countryside and in small towns. Number one country hits like “Watching You,” “These Are My People,” “It’s America” and “Take a Back Road” have endeared him to fans coast to coast. In 2006, he won the Top New Male Vocalist Award by the Academy of Country Music.
Eastern Redbud Facts
- Scientific name: Cercis canadensis
- Range: across the Eastern U.S. into the Southwest
- Height: up to 30 feet tall
- Fruit: brown pod, 2-3" long
- Flowers: magenta pink flowers appear in spring, growing all along the tree's branches
- Edible: the redbud's flowers are edible with a slightly sour, nutty flavor
- Fall colors: leaves turn bright yellow
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Redbud
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... that trees reduce noise pollution by absorbing sounds? Trees absorb the high frequency noises that are most disturbing to people.