Kim Richey writes and sings thought-provoking, melodic pop music for adults. In the 1990s, she recorded three albums in Nashville that expanded the boundaries of country music. She has written songs recorded by a number of artists including Brooks & Dunn (“Every River”), Terri Clark (“I’m Alright”), and Trisha Yearwood (“Believe Me Baby I Lied”). Her newest album is Thorn in My Heart.
- Scientific name: Platanus occidentalis
- Range: throughout the East
- Height: up to 100 feet tall
- Width: the trunk can grow to 13 feet in diameter
- Bark: distinctive peeling bark that exposes a light-gray or white trunk
- Fruit: spiny round balls with a long stem, known as "buttonballs"
- Fall colors: leaves turn yellow and brown
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Sycamore
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... groves of trees in cities can cool the air by as much as 5 to 9 degrees?
Support Tennessee Nature
Help us work with landowners and ensure a future in which people and nature can thrive.