If Trees Could Sing: Danimal Pinson & the Ginkgo
Danimal Pinson talks about the ginkgo and the benefits that trees provide.
Dan “Danimal” Pinson is a singer, songwriter, musician and producer based in Chattanooga. A frequent collaborator with other local rock musicians, Dan moves easily between solo performance and group performances with bands such as Danimal Planet, Glowing Bordis, IckyBod CrankinN and others. He sings and plays guitar, bass, loops and more. His style blends rock, folk, electronica and psychedelia.
- Scientific name: Ginkgo biloba
- Range: native to China, the ginkgo can now be found across the U.S.
- Height: up to 50 feet
- Fruit: oval green, maturing to yellow. Female fruit is foul-smelling.
- Distinguishing feature: fan-shaped leaves
- Medicinal use: extract of ginkgo leaves is used as an herbal remedy
- Fall colors: yellow
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Ginkgo
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... the U.S. Forest Service estimates that in the 1990s and 2000s, trees around the world absorbed about 1/3 of all fossil fuel emissions?