If Trees Could Sing: 8Ball on the Benefits of Trees
Rapper 8Ball talks about how impressive trees are and how they enhance our lives and make them healthier.
8Ball has been a key figure in Southern rap music since he and his partner MJG emerged out of the Memphis music scene in the early 1990s. Their 1993 Comin' Out Hard album was one of the first Southern rap albums to get major recognition. 8Ball & MJG have released 10 albums together, and on his own 8Ball has released another 8 albums, including collaborations with Devius and E.D.I.
A Few Benefits of Trees
- Oxygen: All trees produce oxygen from carbon dioxide, which they remove from the air.
- Cooling: Trees cool the air through a process in which water evaporates from leaves or needles.
- Energy Savings: Tree shade can dramatically reduce home air conditioning costs.
- Pollution Control: Trees remove pollution from the air. A single mature tree can remove more than 200 lbs. of pollution a year.
- Flood Control: Trees soak up stormwater, reducing flooding. In big storms, a tree can absorb 50 to 100 gallons of rainwater.
- Paper: Trees provide paper. The average American uses 750 lbs. of paper a year.
- Homes: Trees provide lumber for homes. 95% of American homes are built with wood.
You Can Take Care of Trees
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... a single large tree can pump over a ton of water vapor into the sky in a day? 200 large trees can create a raincloud.