Accountable and Transparent
We want you and every member of the public to know as much as possible about how The Nature Conservancy operates and how carefully and effectively we use your donations.
As a leading global charity, we hold ourselves accountable to our members, the public and all creatures that have a stake in the preservation of the world’s natural resources. And we seek to make use of every dollar donated to the Conservancy with careful attention to effectiveness and efficiency.
Our strong performance is reflected in the fact that The Nature Conservancy is highly rated by charity watchdog organizations:
- The Nature Conservancy has been recognized by the Ethisphere Institute, a global leader in defining and advancing the standards of ethical business practices, as one of the 2018 World’s Most Ethical Companies, underscoring our commitment to leading with integrity and prioritizing ethical business practices.
- The Nature Conservancy meets all of the Better Business Bureau (BBB) Wise Giving Alliance Standards for Charity Accountability.
- The Nature Conservancy rates as one of the most trusted organizations in a poll by Harris Interactive®.
- The American Institute of Philanthropy has awarded The Nature Conservancy an "B+" rating.
- The Nature Conservancy's strong performance is recognized by Charity Navigator as exceeding industry standards for accountability and transparency.
- Forbes magazine rated The Nature Conservancy's fundraising efficiency at 86% in its annual survey of the largest U.S. charities.
- The Land Trust Accreditation Commission recognizes the Conservancy for meeting national quality standards for protecting important natural places and working lands forever.
Efficient and Effective
The Nature Conservancy is one of the most effective and efficient environmental organizations in the world.
Building on nearly six decades of experience, we've protected more than 119 million acres of land and 5,000 river miles — and we operate more than 100 marine conservation projects globally.
We are able to accomplish so much because we make careful use of our resources, with 71.2% of our funding going directly toward our science-driven program work. Charity Navigator and the Better Business Bureau applaud program efficiencies above 66%, meaning you can be confident that any investment in The Nature Conservancy will be put to good use.