Montana's Pine Butte Preserve
A journey with The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to travel with a purpose, offering access to TNC scientists and the unique opportunity to experience how your support is impacting the landscape locally, and how those actions connect with our global conservation initiatives.
Montana is the third-least populated state in the country, meaning that vast expanses of land continue to exist as pristine, untamed spaces of wildness. Pine Butte is such a place, and The Nature Conservancy is working to ensure that it remains one of the jewels in the Crown of the Continent. The area is one of the last places in the lower 48 where grizzly bears roam free on the plains, and its patchwork of habitats supports a remarkable level of biodiversity. In addition to on-the-ground land management, TNC is working with local ranchers on collaborative stewardship and conservation tools. Community-based partnerships like this help ensure land protection and restoration efforts are sustained long into the future. TNC’s Pine Butte Preserve recalls an earlier time of rugged, American beauty, and we invite you to experience this special place. Thank you for your interest in traveling with The Nature Conservancy.
Dates: September 13 - 18, 2020
Price: $4,235 per person double and single occupancy
All prices based on a minimum of 8 travelers
After meeting fellow travelers and your TNC host and local expert, spend your days horseback riding or hiking the meandering trails in the largest wetland complex along the Rocky Mountain Front. Discover the diversity of habitats and flora and fauna that Lewis and Clark may have encountered 200 years ago; gaze out over beautiful vistas on horseback; and take a nature walk to catch a glimpse of the Western Meadowlark, Montana’s state bird. Engage in nightly conversation with our experts and learn why we are working to protect the entire system from the Flathead River to the Rocky Mountain Front. Your nights are spent resting and relaxing in your cabin at the Pine Butte’s very own guest ranch.
- Explore the preserve's plant and rare wetland species such as yellow lady’s slipper, Macoun’s gentian, green-keeled cotton grass and Craw’s sedge.
- Hike one of the many trails and look for signs of grizzly bears, moose and elk in their habitat.
- Horseback ride through the high meadows and crystalline streams to mountain outcroppings with "Big Sky Country" views.
- Learn about The Old North Trail, used by Native Americans for thousands of years, that serves as a reminder of Montana’s cultural diversity.
- Exclusively located in the preserve, the Pine Butte Lodge provides a base for naturalists, local experts and special guests.
- Charming cabins, with beautiful interiors and woodburning stoves are located along the meandering South Fork of the Teton River.
- The main lodge is stocked with a collection of books, card games and a front room, where you can enjoy some rest and relaxation.
A journey with The Nature Conservancy is an immersive experience that offers unparalleled access to TNC experts and programs deep in the heart of the world’s most dramatic landscapes. Put your conservation values in action by seeing remote corners of the globe and engage in a behind-the-scenes view of conservation efforts that have a global impact.
ACCESS: Travel with renowned TNC experts and local partners for an exclusive, behind-the-scenes experience. You won’t just see amazing places, you’ll see how you are helping to save them.
IMPACT: See how your commitment to our planet and your passion for conservation are making a difference. You will see the wild places and the communities you are impacting.
KNOWLEDGE: Learn how we are applying the latest cutting-edge science to affect global change and drive conservation.
INSPIRATION: Immerse yourself in local cultures and awe-inspiring landscapes to foster your own connection to our world.
GLOBALLY MINDED: Elevate your understanding of our work by seeing first-hand how TNC and our partners act locally and how we turn local results into global impact by scaling solutions that make a difference.