Hawaii's Big Island
A journey with The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to travel with a purpose, offering access to TNC scientists and the unique opportunity to experience how your support is impacting the landscape locally, and how those actions connect with our global conservation initiatives.
Isolated in the Pacific Ocean and shaped by millennia of geologic activity, Hawaii is one of the most biodiverse places in the world. Over 25,000 unique species call Hawaii home, many of which are not found anywhere else on the planet. For centuries, this incredible wealth of life existed in a delicate balance with the indigenous population of the islands. A growing population, tourism, overfishing, sediments, land-based pollution, and invasive species are now threatening this delicate balance.
Hawaii has recognized the urgent need to protect and restore the natural wealth of the islands and is making great strides with the help of partners like The Nature Conservancy and an approach that blends conservation science and an emphasis on traditional knowledge.
Dates: June 6 - June 13, 2020
Price: $5,900 per person double occupancy, $6,700 per person single occupancy
All prices based on a minimum of 8 travelers
Begin your journey around Hawaii’s Big Island with the awe-inspiring Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and adjacent Volcano Village where millennia of volcanic activity mix with rare plant life and traditional culture. Then travel southwest to experience the Ka‘ū and Kona Hema Preserves, where the Conservancy is improving local land management and developing models for sustainable forestry. Spend a day snorkeling in historic Kealakekua Bay, home to technicolor coral reefs, an array of tropical and rare fish, and a monument to the Great Circumnavigator, Captain James Cook. Back on land, visit imposing Mauna Kea, a dormant volcano and Hawaii’s highest point. Test your birding skills and then settle in for the evening’s show: sunset and stargazing from one of the world’s best perches. Round out your trip with visits to a traditional Hawaiian fish pond and a renewable energy demonstration park to see how Hawaii is leveraging both old and new technologies to safeguard its natural treasures.
- Explore Hawaii's famed Volcanoes National Park with an expert volcanologist.
- Look for the Hawaiian hawk ('io) in Ka‘ū and Kona Hema Preserves alongside Conservancy experts and partners.
- Snorkel in the protected waters of Kealakekua Bay, home to brilliant coral reefs, rare fish and a monument to Captain James Cook.
- Watch the sun set from atop Mauna Kea, Hawaii's tallest peak, and enjoy an evening of unparalleled stargazing.
- Enjoy one of Hawaii's signature experiences--an authentic lūʻau.
- Originally built in 1938 for the YMCA, the Kilauea Lodge features the International Fireplace of Friendship with stones and coins from all over the world.
- The Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay sits atop the lava rock cliffs of the Kona Coast and overlooks Keauhou's giant manta ray coastal feeding grounds.
- Kona Coffee farms--home to some of Hawaii's best coffee--are located within minutes of the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay.
A journey with The Nature Conservancy is an immersive experience that offers unparalleled access to TNC experts and programs deep in the heart of the world’s most dramatic landscapes. Put your conservation values in action by seeing remote corners of the globe and engage in a behind-the-scenes view of conservation efforts that have a global impact.
ACCESS: Travel with renowned TNC experts and local partners for an exclusive, behind-the-scenes experience. You won’t just see amazing places, you’ll see how you are helping to save them.
IMPACT: See how your commitment to our planet and your passion for conservation are making a difference. You will see the wild places and the communities you are impacting.
KNOWLEDGE: Learn how we are applying the latest cutting-edge science to affect global change and drive conservation.
INSPIRATION: Immerse yourself in local cultures and awe-inspiring landscapes to foster your own connection to our world.
GLOBALLY MINDED: Elevate your understanding of our work by seeing first-hand how TNC and our partners act locally and how we turn local results into global impact by scaling solutions that make a difference.
- Hawaii's Big Island (.pdf)