What TNC Has Done/Is Doing
Francis Beidler, a champion of conservation practices, acquired this part of Four Holes Swamp in the 1890s. After his death in 1924, family members maintained his conservation values by preserving the property until the 1960s. At that time, The Nature Conservancy and the National Audubon Society combined their resources to purchase what is now Francis Beidler Forest. In October 2003, TNC and National Audubon Society once again partnered to expand the forest with the protection of a 909-acre key inholding acquired from MeadWestvaco.