PLEASE NOTE: O.D. von Engeln Preserve is open during hunting season (Oct 1 - Dec 20). We recommend wearing blaze orange.
At the O.D. von Engeln Preserve at Malloryville, more than a mile of eskers — ancient river beds that once ran through glaciers — wind through a pocket of forest adjacent to Fall Creek. At the foot of the eskers, groundwater bubbles up in a constant stream of minerals that nurture rare plants and a wide variety of animals.
The amazing diversity of wetland habitats within the preserve, from bogs to fens to wooded swamps, nurtures a variety of rare plants and natural communities found in few other places in New York.
In 2001, AES Cayuga, the NY State Electric & Gas Company, the Howland Foundation, the Rothenberg Family Foundation and Trex Company helped support construction of a new trail system and information kiosk, and publication of a new preserve brochure.
The preserve is named for Cornell geology professor O.D. von Engeln (1880-1965), who wished to see the site managed and protected as a nature preserve and bequeathed funds that, years later, made its protection possible. Neighbors and longtime Conservancy supporters Bob and Gwen Beck, and their sons, Nathan and Gordon, made a critical donation of 35 acres at the heart of the preserve. Bob Beck who chronicles the preserve’s story in “The Journey at Malloryville Bog: Commitment, Teamwork and Tenacity in Defense of Land and Nature” (2013), was honored with The Nature Conservancy’s “Friend of the Land” award for his efforts in the 1980s & 90s to protect these diverse wetlands from adjacent gravel mine and concrete plant development.