This land’s rugged outcrops and boulder-strewn hills provide a solid foundation for deciduous forests, flowing streams, and swamps teeming with flora and fauna.
Why We Selected This Site
In 1954, Mrs. Butler donated 225 acres of land to The Nature Conservancy in honor of her husband, making it the organization’s first donated preserve and the first wildlife refuge in the town of Bedford. Since then, it has grown through additional donations and purchases to its present size.
What We Do Here
Each fall, visitors flock to the preserve to observe migrating birds of prey. The Nature Conservancy posts interpretive materials that explain the phenomenon of mass migration and help to identify the many raptor species passing overhead.