Calling all for-profit tech start-ups aiming to help solve our food, water and climate challenges: Techstars Sustainability Accelerator, in partnership with The Nature Conservancy (TNC), continues with its third accelerator class this fall in Denver, Colorado. Ten startups will be selected for the acceleration program, and will each receive seed funding up to $120k, plus exposure to TNC's global footprint of programs, projects and partners, and Techstars’ extensive network of 10,000+ mentors. Applications are open now through May 10th.
We’ve entered a critical decade. What the world will look like in 2050 and beyond will largely depend on the actions we take in the next several years. The food, water and climate challenges facing our planet continue to grow at an exponential rate. We must invest in tools that scale solutions to keep up with this rapid escalation of our challenges. It is time we begin more seriously leveraging the disruptive power of technology to forge the path to a better future for our planet – a more sustainable future, one where both people and nature thrive.
With this in mind, The Nature Conservancy partnered with Techstars to launch a Sustainability Accelerator in 2018 to find world-class entrepreneurs who are building tech solutions that help us solve some of the planet’s most pressing problems.
The mentorship-driven accelerator program based in Denver, Colorado connects entrepreneurs, conservationists, corporate partners and investors to deliver technology that can help put the world on a path to sustainability. During this three-month accelerator, entrepreneurs are plugged in to TNC’s global footprint of programs and projects as well as partnerships with NGOs, governments and corporations. Additionally, entrepreneurs gain incredible value from being a part of Techstars’ worldwide network of coaches, mentors, and investors.
Interested in the 2020 Sustainability Accelerator?
We Are Looking For Companies Solving These Problems:
We are focused on investing in companies that can make a material contribution to building a world where people and nature thrive. By solving the top threats to nature, we can also improve the lives of millions of people.
TACKLE CLIMATE CHANGE
Make the Case for Natural Climate Solutions, Inspire Climate Action, Conserve Working Forests
Climate Change Mitigation
- Carbon Sequestration, Carbon Measurement and Market Validation, Precision Forestry, Sustainable Timber, Reforestation
Climate Change Adaptation
- Advance nature-based solutions to lessen climate impacts (drought/flooding) (Examples of nature-based solutions include: Wetland Conservation, Open Space Protection, Dam Removal, Groundwater Infiltration, Living Shorelines) with technologies such as Innovative Insurance and Finance Models, Remote Sensing, and Spatial Planning
PROVIDE FOOD AND WATER SUSTAINABLY
Improve Fishery Health, Rethink Agricultural Practices, Protect Water at its Source, Build ‘Zero-Deforestation’ Supply Chains
- Soil Health and Nutrients, Zero Deforestation Supply Chains, Sustainable Yield Increases, Precision Irrigation and Fertilization, Nutrient Runoff Monitoring, Sustainable Grazing, Carbon Capture, Microclimate Sensing
- Catch Monitoring, Bycatch Exclusion, Supply Chain Transparency, Vessel Tracking, Automated Stock Assessment
- Technology to support Sustainable Aquaculture such as Monitoring Systems, Ecologically Restorative Business Models, Siting Technologies, Feed Innovations ,Off-Shore / Open-Ocean Systems
Water Funds and Markets
- Watershed-Scale Sensing, Flow Measurement, Sensor Connectivity, Usage Mapping Technology, Aggregating Water Data, Groundwater Recharge, Fintech companies that assist in the arbitrage of water use/allocation
BUILD HEALTHY CITIES
Urban Water, Greenprinting, Sustainable Cities, Transforming the City Landscape, Urban Heat and Air Quality
Greenprinting and Stormwater
- Advance Green Infrastructure, Urban Growth Planning, Address Urban Challenges (including stormwater run-off, air pollution and heat islands)
PROTECT LAND AND WATER
Expand Community-Led Conservation, Build a Model of Sustainable Energy Development, Inform Smart Infrastructure Decision-Making, Protect Oceans and Increase Climate Change-Resilience
Land and Water Protection
- Technology that unlocks conservation investment in Land and Ocean Protection, Coastal Restoration, Climate Adaptation
Energy and Infrastructure
- Technology to improve Energy Siting, Land-Use Planning and Development, Renewable Energy Planning, Mitigation Mapping
Indigenous Landscapes and Communities
- Technology that facilitates Community-Based Natural Resource Management, Multi-Stakeholder Engagement, Sustainable Economic Development for Local Communities and Indigenous Peoples
Technologies that catalyze transformational change to achieve a world where people and nature thrive.
Generate More & Better Data on Planetary Health
- Tools that increase our understanding of/ monitor/ improve - ecosystem services, pollution, and natural resource use (Remote Sensing, GIS, Sensors/Hardware)
Understand the Data
- Tools that aggregate/ analyze/ visualize/ digitize data
Influence Decision Makers (NRM - natural resource managers)
- Tools that better inform NRM (farmers/fisherman/industry etc.)
- Influence policymakers and business leaders
- Innovative finance and funding mechanisms that incentivize decisions to improve planetary health
Events and Updates
Over 9 weeks you’re invited to join us for a Taste of Techstars Sustainability. This is a unique opportunity to get a feel for our program while accelerating your business through 9 hours of interactive sessions. We will cover key topics to help you grow yourself, your business and your impact.
Attend a few or all of the sessions for free. Go here for more info and to sign up.