If Trees Could Sing: Will Hoge
Will Hoge talks about the willow oak and the benefits that trees provide us.
Will Hoge makes music that brings together rock and country. His lyrics have the storytelling quality of country while showing the muscle and grit of the best rock tradition. Known primarily as a rocker, Hoge has also written hit country songs for the Eli Young Band (“Even If It Breaks Your Heart”) and Lady Antebellum (“Better Off Now”). His song “Strong” was heard nationally on Chevrolet Silverado commercials.
Willow Oak Facts
- Scientific name: Quercus phellos
- Range: much of the Mid-South and the Atlantic states from Georgia to New York
- Height: up to 100 feet tall
- Fruit: 1/2" round acorns
- Fall colors: leaves turn yellow
You Can Take Care of Trees Like the Willow Oak
- Plant in late fall or winter when the tree is dormant, unless the ground is frozen.
- Allow plenty of room for the tree to mature and grow.
- Water it regularly in its first three years.
- Spread mulch around the base of the tree.
Mighty Cool Tree Fact
Did you know... if we could plant 3 trees to shade every unshaded U.S. home, we could save more than $2 billion in national energy costs?