The Hidden Waters Preserve, located on the San Pedro River, has six miles of cottonwood-willow riparian habitat, a refuge for migrating birds, wildlife, and diverse plant species. Perennial surface flow has been restored along six miles of the river by retiring the practice of pumping 3,500 acre-feet of groundwater for irrigated agriculture each year. It is located on a paved road 14 mi. north of I-10 exit 306, Pomerene Rd, near Benson, AZ.
Statement of the Position:
The Nature Conservancy is looking for volunteers with a strong interest in environmental conservation to serve as RV site hosts at the Hidden Waters Preserve. The volunteer(s) should be self-motivated, adaptable, and creative team players. They must be willing to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends. Strong candidates will have an interest in wildlife and feel comfortable living in a remote setting.
- Work with the preserve manager to establish watchable wildlife trails on the preserve.
- Clearing and maintaining roadways for future public access.
- Basic facilities repair including but not limited to minor plumbing, electrical, and carpentry work.
- General chores include litter removal, mowing, and monitoring fence lines for cattle trespass.
- Physically fit – able to walk a couple of miles of trails and on uneven ground.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Experience using computer applications such as Word, Excel and web browsers.
Start time and length of assignment: This is a seasonal volunteer opportunity. The minimum stay is 3 months but may be extended longer pending an agreement between the preserve manager and the site hosts.