Why You Should Visit
Pratt's Ferry Preserve is located along a rocky limestone slope on the south bank of the Cahaba River in Bibb County. The area is lush in the spring and summer with a variety of wildflowers. The site also offers an ideal location to put in or take out a canoe on the Cahaba River. For instructions on vehicle access to the unloading area email firstname.lastname@example.org.
North of Centreville in Bibb County
Why the Conservancy Selected This Site
The Cahaba River is a landscape site for The Nature Conservancy in Alabama. This site contains unique features and species found along this river.
What the Conservancy is Doing
The Conservancy is working to control invasive plant species, contain erosion, and control the trash-dumping problem at the preserve area. The site functions as a popular canoe launch.
What to See: Plants
Several wildflowers, including the rare Alabama croton and Nevius' stonecrop, are protected on the preserve. The Alabama Croton is a shrub that grows to about 6-8 feet tall. It grows on rocky limestone slopes and cliffs, under stunted red cedar-oak-hickory forest, overlooking water. The Alabama Croton is only found in the Cahaba and Black Warrior watersheds.
This preserve is open to the public during daylight hours. Visitors can park at the entrance gate and walk to the Little Cahaba River. Planned events allow visitors to participate in stewardship and educational activities throughout the year. For more information, call (205) 251-1155 or e-mail email@example.com.
Latitude/Longitude Coordinates: (33.0186,-87.0780)
- Take the I-20 West/I-59 South exit towards Tuscaloosa.
- Follow I-20 West/ I-59 South towards Tuscaloosa to Exit #97 and turn left towards Centreville/West Blocton
- Follow US-11 South/AL-5 South for 3.2 miles and turn left at flashing light onto AL-5 South.
- Continue on AL-5 South for 10.5 miles and turn left onto River Bend Spur road (the turn will be immediately before Mile Marker 95; look for the directional sign for Schultz Creek Baptist Church.
- Follow River Bend Spur for .25 mile and turn right onto Bibb Co. Hwy 27
- Follow Bibb Co. Hwy 27 for .25 mile and turn left onto River Bend Road/ Bibb Co. Hwy 26.
- Follow Bibb Co Hwy 26 for 4.5 miles and cross bridge over Cahaba River. Pratt’s Ferry Preserve is on your right, immediately after the bridge
- Follow I-65 North towards Birmingham to exit # 228 and turn left toward University of Montevallo Hwy/ Calera/ Hwy 25.
- Follow AL-25/Main Street 1.0 mile towards Calera and turn left onto US Hwy 31 South.
- Follow Hwy 31 South for .25 mile and turn right onto AL-25.
- Continue on AL-25 for 21 miles and turn right onto Bibb Co Hwy 26/ River Bend Road.
- Follow Bibb Co Hwy 26 for 2 miles and turn left into Pratt’s Ferry Preserve just before crossing bridge.