An asset you've had for generations can also be a gift for generations to come.
By donating all or part of your property to The Nature Conservancy you may be able to:
- Reduce your capital gains tax;
- Receive an income tax deduction;
- Receive income for life.
Best of all, your gift will support our vital work to protect lands and waters around the world.
Types of Real Estate Gifts
The Conservancy accepts two types of real estate gifts — both of which are critical to our work:
- Land that donors would like permanently protected. Because our mission is science-based, we are not able to protect all of the real estate that is offered to us. The decisions to accept or decline land for preservation are made at the state level. If you are interested in making such a gift, please contact your local Nature Conservancy office.
- Gifts we call "trade lands" — real estate gifts that donors permit us to sell, with the proceeds going to support our work. Examples include first and second homes, apartments and retail buildings. You will find a wealth of information about them in this section of our Web site.
If you own real estate, you have needs:
Owning real estate brings responsibilities and challenges — and creates wants and needs, especially as your situation changes over time. Real estate gifts can help property owners meet their own needs as well as support the Conservancy.
We Know Real Estate.
The Conservancy has unrivaled experience with real estate. Since its inception in 1981, our trade land program has raised over $250 million from real estate gifts. We also own and manage more than $1.5 billion of conservation land.
We Can Help.
We have a nationwide staff of gift planners who are experts in the many ways real estate gifts can be used to meet your needs and fulfill your wants.
To find out how, visit My Real Estate Gift Guide. It will help you find a real estate gift tailored to your personal situation in three easy steps:
- Pick the three wants and needs that are most important to you.
- Learn about the gift possibilities that come closest to meeting your needs.
- Arrange for a personal conversation with one of our gift planners to determine which gift would be best for you.
This site will answer many of your questions about donating real estate to the Conservancy, but it may raise others. We hope that you will learn more about gifts of real estate, try our Real Estate Gift Guide, or contact us whenever we can help.
Information that may interest you ...
How can a gift of assets benefit you and nature? Learn more.
You can leave a legacy for nature. Learn about our Legacy Club.
You can protect marine habitats and other natural places by making a planned gift with The Nature Conservancy. Contact us today.