Our preserves are open from dawn to dusk year-round for walking, birdwatching, educational and other passive recreational uses. Our preserves have something special to offer at every time of the year: spring peepers and wildflowers in spring, butterflies in summer, migrating birds and changing colors in autumn and peaceful snow-covered trails peppered with animal tracks in winter.
When walking the preserves, be prepared with proper shoes, water, insect repellant and/or sunscreen. Bring binoculars to observe wildlife from a distance, proceed slowly, and most of all, enjoy the sights and sounds of your surroundings. To minimize disturbance to wild places, we do not maintain elaborate trail infrastructure or facilities at preserves. To reduce the impact of your visit and to ensure the continued protection of these areas, we ask that you please observe the following rules for your safety and well-being, as well as that of resident plants and wildlife.
- With a few exceptions, pets, horses, bikes and motorized vehicles, which can disrupt damage wildlife, are not permitted.
- Please stay on trails; exploration of unmarked areas may disturb sensitive species & will increase exposure to ticks.
- No trapping or fishing; hunting is permitted on some preserves.
- No camping, littering or fires.
- No swimming in lakes or streams.
- Collecting plant or animal specimens is strictly prohibited. To inquire about research opportunities or to apply for a special collection permit, contact our chapter office.
- Please respect the property of adjacent landowners and stay on the preserve.
- To guard against Lyme disease and other tick-borne illness, tuck your pants into socks & wear light-colored clothes and check yourself for ticks.
- Per ADA guidelines, mobility devices are allowed on preserves.
Your thoughtfulness and cooperation are appreciated and will help preserve the natural legacy of this region for future generations. Please report trail obstructions and prohibited activities to Mike Crawford at (814) 330-8584 or email@example.com.
Thank you, and enjoy your visit!