Welcome to Michigan
To learn about the innovative strategies our conservation staff are developing and the priority places where they are being put into action, visit How We Work. Below are stories about individual conservation projects designed to protect and transform, and the people who inspire our work.
Grand River Fen Preserve is home to globally rare butterfly species and protects the headwaters to Michigan's longest river, making it a critical conservation priority.
We recently celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Northern Great Lakes Forest Project (a.k.a. The Big U.P. Deal). Take a moment to read how this groundbreaking project transformed land protection in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Millions of birds migrate through the Great Lakes every year, using wetlands, forests, shoreline and more than 32,000 islands as stopover sites. Find out more about our feathered friends and their amazing journeys.
There is a surprising amount of action in the snowy forests and fields of Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin as feathered and furry animals search for food and fight to stay warm.
Check out this slideshow to see how 450 tons of rocks were lowered into Grand Traverse Bay to improve spawning habitat for native fish.
Get an up-close look at some of the racers as they sled through a portion of the Laughing Whitefish Lake Preserve in the UP200, an Iditarod qualifying race.
Dive in to find out why and how we’re working with partners to rebuild a reef that provides critical spawning habitat for Great Lakes fish.
Colorful plants, insects, birds and other wildlife thrive at this unique wetland habitat in southwest Michigan.
- February 27, 2016
- 10 things to do in Michigan in March
- January 22, 2016
- Helen Taylor elected to Charles Stewart Mott Foundation Board of Trustees
- December 01, 2015
- Lake Michigan fish spawning reef made from 450 tons of limestone
- November 13, 2015
- Outdoor activities that boost economy can influence restoration
- September 22, 2015
- Video shows pristine Grand River headwaters preserve
- August 12, 2015
- Gov. Rick Snyder Celebrates 10 Year Anniversary Of Big UP Land Deal
- May 22, 2015
- When Power Island Was Henry Ford's Playground
- May 09, 2015
- Ohio asks neighboring states to help fight Lake Erie's algae