The property is encumbered by a conservation easement.
The Double A Ranch (2,354 deeded acres plus 77-acre state grazing lease) is located immediately outside Lander, Wyoming, in the southern Wind River Landscape, the southernmost realm of the Greater Yellowstone Area. The area encompasses approximately 3 million acres, mostly federally owned.
• Close proximity to Lander, Wyoming, population 7,000, with medical services, stores and businesses, a private airport in Lander and a commercial airport 45 minutes away
• Approximately 473 acres of irrigated/cultivated hay meadow, with excellent infrastructure to support horses and/or a small cattle operation
• A 16,000-square-foot horse barn, well suited for both recreational and working horses with large riding arena, lighting and stalls
• Two existing residences, one additional residence allowed
• Multiple, small out buildings, machine shop, garages and supply barns
• Limited additional building will be allowed in a currently undeveloped building envelope under the terms of the easement, with spectacular views and good water rights
• Borders along more than 100,000 acres of Shoshone National Forest and Bureau of Land Management properties
• Wide variety of recreational activities right outside the back door, such as hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, and trail riding
The Nature Conservancy's goal is to protect this ranch land from uncontrolled subdivision and development, while maintaining ecological, agricultural and recreational values.
The property provides habitat for greater sage-grouse; crucial winter and yearlong habitat for deer, elk, and moose; summer range for pronghorn; and an important migration corridor between winter and summer ranges. The landscape encompasses three major watersheds, including the Little Wind River, Popo Agie River complex (North Fork, Middle Fork, and Little Popo Agie), and Sweetwater River, as well as their tributaries.
A conservation easement has been placed on the property.