Joe Fehrer began his Conservancy career as a teenage volunteer with the Nassawango Stewardship Committee. Today he works to advance land protection and restoration efforts that address the challenges of climate change and sea level rise.
Based at Nassawango Creek Preserve, Joe does substantial public outreach throughout the lower Eastern Shore of Maryland, and works frequently with state and county elected officials and staff, particularly in Worcester, Wicomico, Somerset and Dorchester counties. He also works closely with Virginia Coast Reserve staff on Eastern Shore initiatives.
Working with the US Coast Guard (Region 5), NOAA, US Fish and Wildlife Service, and state partners, Joe has been involved since 2010 with oil and chemical spill response planning and remediation, representing the Conservancy in the mid-Atlantic. He is an active participant with the mid-Atlantic Regional Response Team and Coast Guard Area Committees, serving as the liaison between these agencies and the Conservancy.
Joe on Why His Work Is Rewarding
"Making a positive difference and achieving tangible and lasting results is very important to me. I see the work I do, and the world we’ll leave behind, through the lens of my children and grandchildren. Working with dedicated colleagues and partners gives me great hope for the future."
Key Program Partners
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Maryland Department of Agriculture
- Eastern Shore Climate Adaptation Working Group
- US Coast Guard (Region 5)
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Maryland Coastal Bays Program
- Southern Tip Ecological Partners, VA
- B.S., Business, Salisbury State College
- Board member: Furnace Town Foundation
- Member: Lower Shore Conservation Working Group
- Member: MD Coastal Bays Implementation Committee
- Member: Coastal and Watershed Resources Advisory Committee, DNR
- Member: Mid-Atlantic Regional Response Team
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response qualified
- 100 Ton Burdened, Vessel Operators license (limited waters)
- MD HIC License: Historical Restoration and Consulting