Despite the immense value of the 12 million-hectare Maya Forest, the Yucatan Peninsula loses 80,250 hectares per year. This means losing unique animal and plant species, healthy soils, vital carbon reservoirs, and the cultural heritage of the Maya communities.
Much of this land conversion is due to the expansion of the agriculture and ranching to increase production.
Together with the public and private sectors, academia, and civil society, The Nature Conservancy is helping implement the Yucatan Peninsula Partnership for Sustainability (ASPY) using a science-based methodology aimed at transforming the Maya Forest’s development pathway from a extensive production cycle into a green economy that, favors social inclusion and is low in carbon emissions.
The Yucatan Peninsula Partnership for Sustainability enables multi-sector stakeholders —like government agencies at all levels, private companies, the academia, rural communities, scientists and conservationists— to collaborate and work together toward a path of sustainable growth with conservation. Additionally, it enables green investment and financing to achieve this goal.
The 2030 goals of ASPY are ambitious:
1. Achieve net-zero deforestation by 2030 (decrease by 80% by 2020).
2. Restore 2 million hectares of degraded land, including:
a) Sustainable intensification of cattle ranching on 250,000 hectares
b) Sustainable intensification of agriculture on 250,000 hectares
c) Reforestation and forest restoration on 420,100 hectares
3. Put 50% of the terrestrial and coastal territory of the Yucatan Peninsula under conservation and/or forest management schemes.
4. Promote Mayan biocultural landscapes on 5,484,000 hectares.
5. Attract resources from private and/or international sources that represent the equivalent of public resources currently earmarked for activities that promote the green economy.
6. Restore 20% of the reef crests (54 kms) and 30% of the beach-dune systems altered by human settlements (80 kms) that protect human communities, beaches, and infrastructure.
Learn more about how we are working in Mexico to pursue these goals.
See the 8 components of implementation for ASPY 2030.
Learn more about the framework of this agreement.
See this diagram which explains a Green Growth Compact
Read from our thought leaders about the ASPY 2030.
Learn which companies have signed onto the agreement.