Traveling with The Legacy Club
Frequently asked questions about traveling on these exclusive journeys with The Legacy Club
These are the current safety protocols as for traveling with The Nature Conservancy. These protocols are regularly reviewed and modified in accordance with the latest guidance.
(Last update March 2022)
What is The Nature Conservancy’s stance on travel during COVID-19?
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for all travelers on 2022 Legacy Journeys.
We understand there has been much uncertainty around travel since COVID-19 has come to the forefront. All five excursions of The Nature Conservancy’s 2022 Legacy Journeys have been designed to optimize your experience while holding the health and safety of our travelers and staff to the highest standard. Given the ever-changing conditions of the pandemic and how widely they can vary from place to place, our partners and our own safety experts are working right up until the time of each departure to ensure safe experiences and we’ve taken extra precautions (e.g., indoor mask requirements, social distancing, portable air filters to be used in vehicles, etc.) to keep our travelers as safe as possible. We will keep these webpages updated with the latest information.
Are travelers required to be fully vaccinated to travel with The Nature Conservancy?
Yes, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for all five 2022 Legacy Journeys.
What if a traveler or The Nature Conservancy cancels a trip due to COVID-19?
Trip cancellations, due to COVID-19 or for other reasons, will be subject to the terms and conditions agreed upon with the operator during registration. Please ensure you have carefully read and marked the cancellation dates and penalties for your trip. The Conservancy always recommends travelers purchase trip insurance and suggest you talk with the travel operator about insurance options upon registration.
Cancellations terms are as follows:
- Iconic Adventures (Chesapeake Bay and Hart Prairie):
- Cancellation 120 days or more before trip departure: Full trip deposit is refunded.
- Cancellation 91-120 days before trip departure: 50% of trip deposit is refunded.
- Cancellation 61-90 days before trip departure: 75% of trip cost is refunded.
- Cancellation 0 to 60 days before trip departure: No refund is given.
- Naturalist Journeys (Platte River and Boundary Waters):
- If cancellation is made in writing more than 91 days prior to departure, your deposit will be refunded less a $200 administrative fee. There is no administrative fee if you opt to move your deposit to another tour upon cancellation; your deposit retains full value.
- Cancellation made in writing 90 to 60 days prior to departure: 50% of your tour fee is non-refundable, plus any additional, non-refundable payments made to providers.
- Cancellation made in writing within 60 days of departure: All payments are non-refundable. There is no refund for any reason.
- Little St. Simons Island:
- If cancellation occurs outside of 90 days, a full refund will be issued minus a $50 per room cancellation fee.
- If cancellation occurs inside of 90 days, the total amount is subject to forfeiture.
Please note, TNC will work with travelers in the unlikely event that a trip is cancelled to receive as much of a refund as possible within the terms of our operators. Please keep in mind the travel industry has suffered throughout the pandemic and TNC is committed to supporting our dedicated travel operators to the best of our ability.
When is registration open for the 2022 Legacy Journeys?
Reservations will open for all five journeys starting on Tuesday, September 14 at 12 p.m. ET. Legacy Journeys are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend signing up as soon as possible starting September 14 to secure your spot! Signing up is done directly with the tour operator listed for each journey.
There will also be a waitlist created for each journey if and when each trip reaches capacity.
Where can I find safety and protocol information?
All questions about safety and protocols should be directed to the travel specialist listed for each journey. In response to COVID-19, TNC will continue to develop and amend safety protocols for each trip based on current CDC guidelines.
Who can I talk with about the Legacy Journeys if I have questions before registration opens?
If you have questions, please contact the travel specialist listed for each journey. You may also contact Kelly Newburg, manager of TNC's Legacy Journeys program, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can travel with The Legacy Club?
These special adventures are meant for Legacy Club members and their guests only. At this time, they are limited to adults only.
How much do the Legacy Journeys cost?
The pricing for each journey is listed in the trip-specific itinerary found on the trip's webpage and in the 2022 Legacy Journeys brochure. Please note that the prices quoted are estimates and may be different based on taxes and other incidental fees.
Please note the trip price includes all lodging, domestic transportation, activities, meals, TNC expert staff and local guides. Price does not include your roundtrip flights or transportation to the journey's start and end locations.
Do you recommend purchasing travel insurance?
TNC always recommends purchasing travel insurance for our trips. When registering, please ask the travel operator for more information about trip insurance.
How do I know if a journey is right for me?
When considering whether a trip is right for you, look closely at the itinerary and discuss your ability level with the tour operator if you have concerns.
Travelers should be able to walk as many as three miles over uneven terrain with some elevation gain. Some trips may include activities such as boating, snorkeling or swimming. Expect to be outdoors from four to eight hours on most days. A range of weather conditions is possibe during each trip. If you do not wish to participate in an activity, discuss this with the tour operator before the trip, and, if possible, accommodations will be made.
We invite all our Legacy members to enjoy these virtual field trips to places TNC is protecting across the U.S.
TNC Travel Values
We believe travel can be a force for good. And that we can do it better together. We build trips that:
- Support local communities
- Utilize environmentally and socially responsible vendors
- Invest in women and People of Color owned businesses
- Reduce waste
- Minimize carbon emissions and include carbon offsets for every traveler on every trip we run