Hawaii - PAST ITINERARY
Immerse yourself in Hawaii's natural splendor
This an example of a past Legacy Journey. A determination about 2021 trips will be made by the new year. Look for an update in January 2021.
Our trip to three of Hawai‘i’s eight main islands—Maui, Moloka‘i and Kaua‘i— reaches beyond beautiful sunsets and crystal clear waters to embrace a heritage of endemic plants and animals, rich Hawaiian culture and a dynamic landscape. After exploring Maui from ridge to reef, we’ll visit Moloka‘i’s Mo’omomi Preserve, where a windy, salt-sprayed environment support native Hawai‘ian species, including ‘ua’u kani (wedge-tailed shearwater) colony. Then head to Kaua‘i to discover its natural treasures, including Waimea Canyon, dubbed “the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.”
- Snorkel with TNC’s Maui marine program director.
- Witness humpback whales that have migrated from Alaska to breed in the warm waters of the ‘Au‘au Channel.
- Bring binoculars to the Waikamoi Preserve, a rainforest that harbors endemic native birds, including the critically endangered ākohekohe and kiwikiu, found only on Maui.
- Watch red-footed boobies nest in trees and Laysan albatrosses gliding over the waves at Kīlauea Point National Wildlife Refuge.
- Hike along the Pihea Trail through the high-elevation forest of the Alaka‘i Swamp.
INFORMATION & RESERVATIONS
February 23 - March 2
Hawai‘i | Explore Our Work in this Region