Eight volunteers are needed each day to help move and assemble oyster castle blocks to build functional oyster habitat that will be capable of keeping up with sea level rise.
Volunteers will be moving 30-pound concrete oyster castles blocks for 3-5 hours. This is labor intensive work that requires volunteers to spend most of the day outside, on the water, in varying depths, with a firm bottom composed of loose shell. Most importantly, volunteers must be able to repeatedly move 30-pound concrete oyster castle pieces. Wearing waders is recommended.
- Friday May 7: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Tuesday May 11: 12:00 - 4:00 pm
- Thursday May 13: 1:30 - 4:30 pm
- Tuesday June 8: 11:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Thursday June 10: 12:00 - 4:00 pm
- Thursday June 24: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Friday June 25: 12:00 - 4:00 pm
To sign up, contact Jen Dalke, volunteer program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-335-1302 (c). Volunteers must read and sign our COVID field guidelines and health screening questions. Guidelines include having a mask readily accessible if working less than 6' apart, bringing hand sanitizer and confirming you have health insurance.