Join TNC staff and volunteers for a series of winter work days at the Crooked Creek Preserve's Chapman Hills property. Work will focus on removal of invasive buckthorn and honeysuckle to open the areas to native vegetation. This area is part of the rolling Kettle Moraine landscape and is pockmarked by deep “kettles” left over from the last period of glaciation, which ended some 12,000 years ago. If there is sufficient snow on the ground, we may burn brush piles.
Work days will happen on:
- Saturday, January 25, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm - CANCELLED due to snowy weather
- Saturday, February 22, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Saturday, March 21, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
TNC will provide loppers and bow saws. We have some work gloves and safety glasses available. We'll also provide water, juices and snacks. Bring a lunch if you like and hang out in front of the fieldstone fire place after the work parties.
Park in the lot at the front of the property and walk in past the locked gate. Follow the road to a “Y” and turn left to the blue lodge. Come in and sign in and we’ll talk about our plans for the day as well as the work TNC is doing to restore the woodlands and wetlands along the Mukwonago River.
What to bring: Wear sturdy footwear, preferably something that provides ankle protection. Dress in layers in case you start to warm up from all of that work! If you have work gloves and safety glasses, please bring them. Bring a water bottle, too, and a lunch if you'd like to eat together by the fireplace after the work party.
Contact: Jerry Ziegler, firstname.lastname@example.org or 262-642-7279
From Milwaukee (a 35-minute drive)
- Exit I-43 at Exit 83 in Mukwonago.
- Turn right and immediately get in the left turn lane to get onto Bay View Road
- Follow Bay View Road to Highway ES and turn right.
- Follow Highway ES to Highway J (there’s a big yellow barn at the intersection with a smiley face on it)
- Follow Highway J for about 6¾ miles to Little Prairie Road.
- Turn right and follow Little Prairie Road for 1½ miles to Scout Road
- Turn right on Scout Road and go 1.2 miles to N9372 Scout Road and turn into the parking lot near the red, one-story barn
From Madison (a 75-minute drive)
- Take US Hwy 12 about 8 miles past Whitewater to the junction of 12 and State Hwy 20.
- Go straight onto 20. At the intersection of 20 and County Hwy J, continue straight on J to Scout Road.
- Turn left on Scout Road and go for about 2 ½ miles and look for a one-story red barn on the right.