Help us count butterflies at and around the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve in the heart of the Flint Hills. No experience or butterfly identification skills are required for this family-friendly event.
Volunteers will team up with experienced stewards and scientists to record data on butterflies during their migrations through the Flint Hills. We use the information to guide decisions about managment of the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve such as where to focus restoration efforts and plant pollinator-friendly plants.
Join us for a half day or the whole day. We'll meet for instructions in the historic stone barn just north of the parking lot at 8:30am and 12:30pm.
What to Bring/Wear
- water (BYOWB - bring your own water bottle; we'll have refill stations)
- sack lunch if you're staying all day
- sunscreen/insect repellent
- hiking boots or other sturdy shoes
- long pants
- binoculars if you have them (we'll have some you can borrow)
- other items that might come in handy: digital camera, butterfly identification guide