Nothing could be finer than life in South Carolina. For 50 years, you’ve made it that way.
Whether it’s rustling saltwater marshes; cold, sparkling waterfalls; or cathedral-like pines, there’s a special image that invokes “South Carolina” to each of us. For 50 years, supporters of The Nature Conservancy have protected these lands and waters.
A SHORT HISTORY
Our first project in the Palmetto State was in 1969, when the Conservancy teamed up with the Audubon Society to protect Four Holes Swamp (what is today Audubon’s Francis Beidler Forest). Since then, you’ve made incredible things happen statewide, from saving Stumphouse Mountain in the Upstate to expanding endangered North Atlantic right whale habitat off our coasts.
A golden anniversary is a big deal, and we couldn’t have reached it without you. As we enter 2019, we’ll be celebrating (and hope you’ll join us!), but also planning. Because we don’t intend to stop here.
We’re excited to be kicking off a series of special Preserve Days and other fun events across the state in 2020. Keep an eye on our official events page for more details, but preliminary dates include:
- March 2020: Forty-Acre Rock Preserve Day
- April 22, 2020: Earth Day Paddle at Congaree
- May 2, 2020: Preserve Day at Blue Wall Preserve (Upstate)
WE STILL NEED YOUR HELP
It’s been an incredible 50 years, but there’s still much to be done. That’s why we’re launching the largest conservation campaign in our state’s history. The Our South Carolina, Our Legacy campaign seeks to raise an ambitious $60 million to ensure we can protect our home, from the mountains to the sea. Your gifts already have brought us so close to this goal. Please consider helping us close the gap and prepare for the next 50 years.
Campaign Goals: $60 million
- Outright gifts and multi-year pledges: $24 million
- Our Land: $4 million to protect critical lands
- Our Forests: $5 million to restore native forests
- Our Oceans: $4 million to safeguard our oceans
- Our Fresh Water: $3 million to secure fresh water
- Our World: $3 million to nurture global landscapes
- Our Legacy: $5 million to grow a sustainable endowment
- Planned giving: $36 million to ensure the future of nature
To participate in this historic campaign, please contact our Philanthropy Team: