Ohio Department of Natural Resources’Edgewater Park
Credit: Ohio Department of Natural Resources
6616 Memorial Shoreway
Cleveland, Ohio 44102Website
| Get directions to this location
In the heart of one of Ohio's largest cities, Edgewater Park’s swath of green breaks the metropolitan skyline. Cleveland residents can trade concrete for sand beaches, tree-lined picnic areas and panoramic views of the lake all without leaving the 131-acre park. Stretched along the Lake Erie shoreline, a fitness path connects the divided upper and lower areas for more, easily accessible outdoor fun.
The Nature Conservancy actively works to support federal and state programs designed to protect coastal areas not only for public access and recreation, but also as a refuge for fish and bird populations. Programs like the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative help to ensure that important hydrological connections are protected and restored to ensure drinking water quality, prevent erosion and provide habitat for wildlife and outdoor recreation lovers.
Why It Matters:
Lake Erie’s shallow waters promote warmer temperatures and higher nutrient levels, the perfect combination for aquatic life. Notably prolific, Lake Erie is home to greater numbers and varieties of fish than any other great lake. In fact, the annual Lake Erie fish catch nearly equals the combined catches of all the other great lakes. Edgewater Park helps maintain a save haven for Lake Erie’s abundant fish life.
Lake Erie’s life sustaining habitat doesn’t end at its shores. Scattered along the main shoreline, Edgewater Park’s sand beaches give coastal plants, such as sand cherry, beach grass and beach pea, the perfect place to call home. Finding these coastal plants in such an urban environment is rare. But for Edgewater Park visitors, it’s a bit of the tropics close to the city.
Natural Treasures Landmark
Join hundreds of others who have chronicled their adventures! Take a picture of yourself at Statue of Conrad Mizar, Cleveland’s oldest monument, at Edgewater Park and upload it to our site
Fun Things to Do and See:
While on the hunt for the landmark, enjoy the abundant adventures this Ohio treasure has to offer. The thrill of nature can be experienced at any level!
- Rally your favorite kiddos and head to the playground for some good ‘ol fashioned outdoor fun.
- Take a break from the hustle and bustle of your work day and enjoy lunch under cottonwood tree shade.
- Test the Buckeye State’s wind by flying a kite along the shore. How high can you fly yours?
- Cool off from the hot summer sun with a dip in Lake Erie. You may even spot some channel catfish!
- Relish in the sunshine alongside your beloved canine friend with a brisk walk along the popular fitness path. It’s an excellent spot to make new friends!
- Paraglide over Lake Erie for an aerial view of Cleveland’s natural treasures. Can you still make out the figure of the Conrad Mizar statue?
- Grab your fishing pole and channel your energy into reeling in some walleye and perch. How many did you catch?