- The North Carolina Chapter's main volunteer opportunities are work days organized through our field offices around the state.
- We also use volunteers (who have gone through training) on many of our prescribed burns that take place mostly in the Southeastern part of the state.
- Individuals should feel free to contact us about specific skills and talents that they would like to offer the chapter. Neal Cheek is the main contact: email@example.com or (919) 794-4371.
The North Carolina Chapter needs volunteers of all ages and ability levels to help with our conservation work around the state. Some projects are one-time only and others are ongoing; times and hours vary and can include weekdays and weekends. The minimum age for volunteers is 12. Volunteers aged 17 and under must have parental permission and any volunteers younger than 16 years old must be accompanied by a parent.
For office work, a supervisor will orient and train each volunteer. For one-day field work, the supervisor for the activity at the field location will orient and train all volunteers.
Some volunteer opportunities are available in our main office in Durham. These include performing general office work or assisting our communications, government relations or philanthropy conservation staff. If you have a specific talent to share, let us know!
- Please contact Neal Cheek if you are interested at (919) 794-4371 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many volunteers work through our satellite field offices, which are in Halifax, serving the Roanoke River; in Southern Pines, serving the Sandhills region; in Wilmington, serving the Southeast Coastal Plain; in Nags Head Woods, serving the Outer Banks; and in Asheville, serving the Southern Appalachian Mountains/Hickory Nut Gorge/New River region. For more information on volunteering, please get in touch directly with the volunteer contact for the place in which you are interested. (See contact information on our main volunteer page.)
Group Volunteer Opportunities
TNC seeks motivated groups to develop a lasting relationship through service or research. Do your students need a field project? Would your social group like to set up a recurring service project at one of our preserves? Social groups, community groups, religious groups and school groups are all welcome. To further explore your opportunities as a group with TNC, please contact Neal Cheek at email@example.com or (919) 794-4371 or a volunteer coordinator in your area.
Prescribed Fire Burn Crew
TNC has training for our burn crews once a year in the fall. Space is limited for these trainings. Volunteers for prescribed burns must be at least 18 years old and able to pass a fitness test, in addition to undertaking classroom and hands-on training in use of the equipment, proper procedures and techniques. The actual amount of participation thereafter varies. Most of our controlled burning takes place in the Sandhills and Southeast Coastal Plain.
- For more information about volunteering for our fire crew, contact Maura High at (919) 794-4377 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for thinking of donating your time to us!