Jennifer Lamb's Buttermilk Cornbread
Ingredients: Use local ingredients when possible
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 1 c. flour
- ½ t. salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease (spray oil) an 8-inch square pan. Or use muffin trays!
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and stir until well blended.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour and salt until well-blended and only a few lumps remain. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 30 minutes in large pan, or 12-15 minutes for muffin trays. The cornbread should turn golden. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center – it should come out clean. Tastes great warm or room temperature… even better with local honey!