Adding bacon to the Bacon Explosion.
Ingredients: Use local when possible. For a list of farmers who supply meat close to you, visit http://www.eatwild.com/.
- 2 pounds thick cut bacon
- 2 pounds ground sausage (Italian, sage, mild or hot all work well)
- 1 jar of your favorite barbeque sauce
- 1 jar of your favorite barbeque rub
- Take 10 pieces of uncooked bacon and create a 5X5 weave keeping the weave as tight as possible.
- Sprinkle the weave with your favorite BBQ rub.
- Take two pounds of sausage and spread it over the top of the weave. Be sure to spread the sausage to the edges of the weave.
- Next, take the remaining bacon strips, fry them and, once cooled, sprinkle them over the top of the sausage.
- Drizzle your favorite BBQ sauce over the top of the crumbled bacon.
- Carefully separate the ground sausage layer from the weave and roll it tightly away from you. Be sure to pinch the ends and seam of the sausage roll.
- Then roll the sausage torpedo in the opposite direction so that it becomes encased in the bacon weave.
- Sprinkle more BBQ rub on the outside of the weave.
- Smoke on an outdoor smoker or BBQ grill at 225 degrees for one hour for each inch of thickness until the you get an internal temperature reading of 165 degrees. (The one pictured cooked for 2.5 hours.)
- Once cooked, baste with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Slice and serve alone or on a biscuit.