You can help stop the spread of invasive species! Help protect New York's native plants, animals, and insects by following these six easy steps.
- Verify that the plants you are buying for your yard or garden are local varieties. Replace invasive plants in your garden with non-invasive alternatives. Ask your local nursery staff for help in identifying invasive plants!
- When boating, clean your boat thoroughly before transporting it to a different body of water.
- Clean your boots before you hike in a new area to get rid of hitchhiking weed seeds and pathogens.
- Don't "pack a pest" when traveling. Fruits and vegetables, plants, insects and animals can carry pests or become invasive themselves.
- Don't release aquarium fish and plants, live bait or other exotic animals into the wild.
- Volunteer at your local park, refuge or other wildlife area to help remove invasive species. Help educate others about the threat.