Protect Piping Plovers at the Jones Beach AirShow
May 24, 2014 - May 25, 2014
9 a.m. — 3:25 p.m.
Long Island, New York
Come join The Nature Conservancy and New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for the Jones Beach Memorial Day Weekend Air Show, May 24th & 25th.
Volunteers for the day will be meeting at 9:00 AM at Jones Beach Field One for training and disbursement by Jones Beach Nature Center staff members. Volunteers will sign in at the picnic tables on the cement behind the concession building.
Once you are trained you will be assigned a specific area of the beach and deployed there for the remainder of the day. The event will end at approximately 3:25 PM, at which time you will be able to depart.
You will not have to pay an entrance fee to the beach that day. Simply tell the booth attendants that you are there to volunteer for Plover Protection during the airshow and they will let you pass.
If you are unable to make it to Field One by 9:00 AM, or if you need to leave prior to 3:25 PM, please contact the Jones Beach Nature Center at 516-780-3295 and let them know of your time issue. Please call them before 3PM on Friday, May 23rd. They will advise you as to how to proceed.
What to Bring
- A portable beach chair or blanket for times when the crowds are lulling
- Sunscreen and/or sunhat
- Cool drinks (that you can cart in and out of the beach with you)
- Snacks (that you can cart in and out of the beach with you)
- Any clothing appropriate for the day's weather (jacket, raincoat, etc.)
- Extra friends or family members who want to volunteer!
- Lunch and a T-shirt will be provided!
Thank you for your volunteerism for this important event, and enjoy your day at the beach!